Market at 3rd & Adams Streets
South Bethlehem Farmers Market at 3rd and Adams Streets in 1875 was purchased for $1,000. In 1893 replaced the wooden structure with a three-story brick building with a tower designed by A. W. Leh. (Reference: Images of America South Bethlehem by Ken Raniere, Karen Samuels, & South Bethlehem Historical Society)
This 3-span bridge wooden bridge was built in 1841 by famous bridge designer Theodore Burr. This bridge was used until it was replaced by the Hill-to-Hill bridge in 1924. The Pacific House, shown in the background, was torn down when the bridge was built.
(Reference: Images of America South Bethlehem by Ken Raniere, Karen Samuels, & South Bethlehem Historical Society)
After the Civil War the Borough of South Bethlehem was formed. In 1886 the Borough of West Bethlehem (in Lehigh County) was formed. In 1904, the Boroughs of West Bethlehem (in Lehigh County) and Bethlehem (in Northampton County) merged. In 1917, the Borough of South Bethlehem and Bethlehem merged to become the City of Bethlehem, with Archibald Johnston (1865-1948) selected as the new city’s first mayor.
The purpose of the South Bethlehem Historical Society is to preserve and make known the Second Chapter of Bethlehem’s History (1850 – on) by focusing on the individuals, ethnic groups and material evidence which helped make possible the industrialization of South Bethlehem